Now Hiring Farm Hands for the 2020!
Applications Due March 15, 2020
POSITION: Organic Farm Hand/Assistant
STATUS: Full-Time Seasonal
DESCRIPTION OF EMPLOYER
Teter Organic Farm is a diversified Certified Organic vegetable farm in Noblesville, Indiana along the White River. We grow over 40 different varieties of vegetables and herbs for a Community Supported Agriculture Project, Farmers Market, and donations to local food pantries. Our mission is to “Do Good. Eat Well” and we are focused on building community, ecological stewardship, and farming as a positive force for change in our community. Teter Organic Farm is a part of Nobleville First United Methodist Church - all employees are legally employees of Noblesville First United Methodist Church.
The Organic Farm Hand will work on a wide variety of Organic farming tasks under the direction of the Farm Manager. Daily tasks will include planting, weeding, watering the greenhouse, harvesting and processing field crops, and occasional mowing. Weekend assistance with the Farmers Market or other events as scheduled is also required. The position may include tractor operation depending on experience level, aptitude, and farm needs.
We can provide some scheduling flexibility to accommodate classes or family obligations.
- Dependability and Commitment.
- Interest in learning about Organic farming.
- Flexibility and ability to take direction.
- Strong communication, problem solving, and collaboration skills.
- Ability to quickly and effectively communicate issues with the Farm Manager.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds.
- Ability to work alone.
- Ability to work an 8 hour shift outdoors in 90+ degree weather.
- Able to bend over and perform physically demanding and repetitive tasks like weeding and harvesting for multiple hours at a time.
- Ability to follow instructions and ask questions when clarification is necessary.
- Ability to work safely with and around equipment.
- Prior experience working on a farm or landscaping business is preferred. While we do not offer a formal apprenticeship program, farm hands can expect to learn about many aspects of a diversified small farm operation.
- Cooperative spirit and desire to be a part of a team.
- An interest in farming as a lifestyle and livelihood.
- A mind for efficiency, attention to detail, organization and a sense of urgency.
- Open and positive communication skills.
- Willingness to ask questions, follow directions, and take initiative when necessary.
- Experience operating a tractor, lawnmower, or other landscaping equipment.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES INCLUDE:
- Greenhouse seeding and management
- Irrigation installation and running of irrigation schedules
- Cultivation and weed control
- Harvesting, washing, packing vegetables
- Farmers market sales, set-up and break down
- CSA set-up and breakdown
- Lawn mowing and weed eating
- Helping with miscellaneous property maintenance
- Must have the physical ability to perform the following duties, including but not limited to planting, digging, weeding, harvesting.
- Ability to work in conditions that will create mud and dust.
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks outdoors, in all types of weather conditions.
- This is a full-time hourly, seasonal agricultural position that does not provide medical benefits or overtime pay.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- 35-40 hours a week
- Saturday Farmers Market work is available
- Weekdays start at 8:00-9:00am depending on the weather and time of year
- We will have part-time hours available beginning April 1st, and full-time hours from May - September.